Are you a rainmaker? Are there any rainmakers at your firm? What is so special about rainmakers?
Very few lawyers are or ever will be true rainmakers. Rainmaking itself is a full-time occupation and, typically, it defaults to one or two lawyers in the firm.
However, every lawyer is responsible, to some degree, for their own rainmaking. Partners want associate lawyers with sustainable practises to join their ranks. As such, the relative success of the firm depends on the ability of every lawyer in being accomplished rainmakers.
The good news is that you don’t have to be a true rainmaker to have a successful legal practise. What you can and should do is emulate a rainmaker’s characteristics to improve your own rainmaking ability and, ultimately, your success.
Here are several tips to emulate a rainmaker:
1. Treat clients, staff, potential clients, contacts and strangers the way you want to be treated or the way you would have them treat you.
2. For existing clients, be their friend, listen to them, and deliver what they need, when they need it and at a price that represents good value for money.
3. Thank clients for their business and solicit future business from them.
4. Give clients the service they deserve to help them resolve their conflicts.
5. Tell clients succinctly and briefly how you can and will solve their problem, be available to them in their time of need, and explain the value of your services to them.
6. Don’t cancel or postpone appointments, don’t be late, and don’t over promise or under deliver.
7. At social events, functions, meetings, conferences, and CPD seminars, be cognizant of the potential influence of everyone you meet. Referral sources and potential contacts can be anywhere at anytime.
8. Rainmakers leave nothing to chance. They ask all the dumb questions to convince their prospective client they care and want to completely understand the problem. They don’t make assumptions.
9. A rainmaker’s job is to listen to clients. You must hear and understand what they are saying, what they want and what they don’t want.
10. Rainmakers use good manners all the time with everyone.
Sales is the lifeblood of every successful business including law! Happy rainmaking!
 A client’s money is the rain created by the rainmaker.